Man products (as I like to call them) are totally underrated. I get that lotions, potions, balms, and scrubs are a girls paradise BUT men have needs too! Ok, we’re not talking about those kinds of needs… We’re talking soap, skin and lotions. I’ve been making what I call ‘Man Soap’ for a few years, it’s a basic soap with sandalwood essential oil with a bay leaf in the middle, giving it the essence of man and nature. I like to think men smell it and they automatically flex their muscles and beat their chests, ok ok ok, I know I’d be boring without my imagination! Seriously though, when you think products, you think girly stuff galore but you don’t really think dude wash, man lotion, or man maintenance products!
Cedarwood essential oil is GREAT for the skin and is known to treat dry skin conditions. My aunt has had great success (within a using it a few times) with treating her dry skin condition with this whipped body butter, where other ointments haven’t previously worked. (To be very clear, legally I’m not allowed to make any medical claims, as its not been through extensive laboratory testing)
My dad has super sensitive skin, something that I inherited. As a result he is incredibly limited in what he can use, as am I. My dad is also what you’d call a ‘mans man’, not the type that smashes beer cans on their chest but more the type that spends 80% of his life outdoors and wears a LOT of camouflage and not just when he’s outside. He’s also not the type to go to the store and spend more than 30 seconds in an aisle looking for lotion or comparing what the best or more natural product would be for him.
What is the difference between body butter and lotion? Good question and one that is frequently asked. Immediately you’ll notice that body butter is much ticker than lotion, this is because it has no water content (mine doesn’t). This means a little goes a long way with body butter and provides longer lasting moisture. As lotion has a high(er) water content, it feels and applies lighter and absorbs much more quickly into the skin.
I wanted to make a super moisturising non greasy lotion that he could use in the winter or generally for dry skin that had a ‘manly’ scent, allowing him to avoid the beauty isle entirely. I came across this recipe that I realised I was able to alter and make it my own!
DIY Whipped Body Butter For Men
Makes: 210g(ish) Prep time: 5 mins Cooling time: 3+ hours Overall time: 4 hours minimum
- 1/2 cup (110g) Shea butter
- 1/4 cup (55g) Coconut oil
- 1/4 cup (55g) Mango butter
- 1/8 cup (30ml) Sweet almond oil
- 1/8 cup (30ml) Castor oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Vitamin E oil
- 20 drops cedarwood essential oil – I added a few more to get a more intense scent
- Clean pots to put your product into or when all else fails, tupperwear!
How to make these manly products:
1. Over a double boiler combine the shea butter, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, castor oil, and mango butter. Once its all completely melted, combined and no lumps at all, remove from the heat.
2. Allow your mixture to cool for 15-20 minutes. Once it has cooled down, add in your essential oil and vitamin e oil. If you add the essential oil whilst its melting or still very hot, they can be damaged by temperatures in excess of 100F (38C). This can result in reducing their therapeutic value and may cause skin irritation.
3. Now the waiting game starts, you need to wait for it all to cool down and start to solidify before you can start whipping it. For me, this literally took HOURS. I tried beating it a few times in hope that it was ready and it just really wasn’t! So I’d leave it another hour and then go back. The picture on the left was an hour before it was ready. Once it is good to go, use your hand mixer and whip it good! I whipped mine for easily 5 minutes but probably closer to 10, you want medium peaks but not soft floppy peaks.
4. You need to put it in pots. This for me filled 1 large pot and 2.5 medium pots.
I also created labels for the pots, so that there wasn’t a mystery as to what is in them. I ensured that the logo was consistent with my soap and TADA my dad has his own range of man maintenance products!
The great thing about this whipped body butter is that you dont need much at all, a little really does go a long way. Start with the amount that is the size of a pea and work from there.
A female scented version of this recipe can be found here.
This is a great example of how truly easy it is to make your own products or to save your dad the hassle of the beauty isle!
*Notes: When making body butters, potions, lotions, soaps or any body product, always make sure that the equipment, spoons, bowls etc you use will NEVER be used for edible purposes again and are only used to make body products with.
*When using any essential oils directly or indirectly on skin, ensure that you stay out of sunlight or UV rays for up to 12 hours after application. This might sound quirky but as per this article, the combination of sun and essential oils can cause the skin to severely burn and blister.
**Before I forget (again), you can also make this for your boyfriend or husband, however, as you can tell Ive now been single for such a long time (after 5 years, you stop telling people the real amount of time) that I dont even think of these things and when I think of love, I have visions of my cat and only my cat. Yes, she is also the screensaver on my phone…
Remember to share with friends or your Dad! 🙂
*Edits: Legally I am not able to make any medical claims, Cedarwood essential oil is well documented in treating eczema and other skin conditions, which I believe is the element that makes this so good for dry skin conditions. I used it specifically for its woody masculine scent but it is also great for the skin!
3 thoughts on “DIY Whipped Body Butter For Men”
Hi, I followed all the steps and it came out great, but I did a warm temperature test and it melted. What can I do to fix this?
Hiya, great to hear it came out great. Im not sure what you mean when you say a ‘warm temperature test’, can you provide more details and Ill do my best to help!