My shower is my haven. It’s a small cubicle (apparently large by Dutch standards) that seems to have magical powers that allow me my finest and best thinking. Sadly, it seems to be that time of year where the flu, colds, and stuffy heads are common on these long cold dark days. When I’m ill, all I want is to be able to breathe without having to think how its done, utilising the steam from the shower as a lifeline to being able to think and breathe again.
I’ve come up with these super awesome shower steamers that fizzle away in your shower, using aroma therapy to clear your head and sinuses, allowing me to have my previous shower back! I have to say that I’m quite impressed with the outcome and even now put them in the shower when Im not feeling stuffy, Im not sure if this makes me a shower steamer addict or not? I’ve given them out and had positive feedback so far, so I’d call these useful and a delight for your otherwise stuffy senses. As long as they are not placed directly under water, they should last 5-8 minutes each.
Makes: Approximately 50-60 small cubes Prep time: 10 mins Making time: 10 mins Setting time: 5-8 hours (best over night) Total time: 5 hours 20 mins minimum
- 1 cup Baking soda
- 1/2 cup Citric Acid
- 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol (I probably use more)
- 1/2 teaspoon Eucalyptus essential oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Peppermint Essential Oil
- 1 teaspoon menthol crystals that have been dissolved in 2-3 teaspoons of rubbing alcohol (not to be left out, these are the MAGIC ingredient that makes these so good)
- Mica- color of your choice (optional)
- Mini ice cube tray – I bought mine on Wish
- A seperate small cup disposable cup for your menthol crystals (seriously the crystals will continue to grow and its best to have something you can throw away or purposely dedicate just to THIS project)
Please note for the pictures, I did double the recipe, hence why I have so much in the pictures!
For safety purposes you should also have: dust mask and gloves
1. Take your teaspoon of menthol crystals and dissolve them in 2-3 teaspoons of rubbing alcohol. They wont just dissolve on their own, you will need to stir them, it will take a few minutes. I tend to give them a bit of a crush before I mix them in the alcohol, I assume I’m making my life easier by doing this. I use a toothpick or straw to stir. As the menthol WILL form crystals on whatever you are using to stir it with, make sure that you have no commitment to said item and its disposable, (menthol crystals are NOT water soluble, so simply crushing them up and adding them to this mixture will not work or give you the desired results).
2. Put on your mask and gloves. In a bowl, combine your citric acid, baking soda and mica (if using), breaking any lumps. Give it a good mix with your hand.
3. Add in your essential oils, mix throughly, you’ll notice the texture of the mixture change slightly but a small sniff into how nice your shower will smell. Add in your crystal menthol mixture and mix thoroughly.
4. At this point your mixture is either ready to use or isn’t. If you are able to get it to form in your hand when you squeeze it, you’re on to a winner. If it doesn’t hold it form when you squeeze it (left picture), then add in the rest of your rubbing alcohol, mix again and it should now hold its form when you squeeze it (right picture).
5. Now to put the shower steam mixture in your moulds. Try for the middle of the mould and work your way out. Ensure to press your mixture into each individual mould, you want it to be packed in and solid, I use my thumb to press in the mixture in EACH individual mould.
6. Leave them to dry, honestly I think over night is best. If you’re in a rush or made them in the morning, give them at least 5-6 hours to set. As it is alcohol which was used to combine them, it will evaporate on its own over time.
7. Once dry, turn out and ideally place them in a air tight box/container. I made gifts out of mine and put them in clear bags (10 per bag) and jars (25ish per jar), with the following instructions:
TO USE: Place 1-3 steamers on the floor of your shower, where it will get wet but not directly under the water. Let the aromas clear your sinuses/congestion as you breathe in deeply. Store in an airtight container. Humidity will cause them to break down. Use within 1 month for best scent and results. WARNINGS: Not to be used in the bath as a bath bomb or to have direct contact with skin. Keep out of reach of children.
Notes: These are not bath bombs and should not be treated as such, whilst the ingredients are similar, I wouldn’t recommend or tell anyone to use them in the bath, if you want a bath bomb, make/buy a bath bomb, if you want a shower steamer, then THIS is the recipe for you!
Other shower steamers/melts/fizzy/bomb use water in it, why doesn’t this recipe? This is a conscious choice that I have made NOT to use water. Water, no matter how much, reacts with the citric acid causing it to fizz and puff instantly, adding too much water can RUIN any steamers/melts/fizzy/bomb recipe, which is something that I have done MORE than once.
Remember to save some for yourself and share with friends! 🙂