Since having moved, I havent automatically climatised and have had a few colds, it feels like my nose is ALWAYS running, (God only knows where to) and Ive noticed that I feel more sluggish and lurgy-like. None of this is good, at all. In a vain attempt at solving all my problems, the worlds problems and in attempting to keep my nose Ive made a morning juice, its quick, easy and seems to work great
as a placebo! This is actually a healthy juice that and I will be as bold as to call it a ‘immune boosting healthy morning drink to get the day going’!
Some interesting facts on the ingredients in this drink, which make this drink AWESOME and GOOD for you.
Grapefruits are full of Vitamin C, high in fiber and low in calories, increase the body’s metabolic rate, lower insulin levels and are known to help digestion.
Oranges are high in Vitamin C and rich in potassium and boost heart health. It won’t cure your illness but it will help to reduce how long it lasts as it also boots your immune system.
Fresh Ginger is a powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. It fights illness, helps to clear sinuses, as well as improving the absorption of nutrients and it is also a super food!
Good Morning Juice
Makes: 4 large glasses of juice Prep time: 15 mins
- 4 large Grapefruits
- 8 small-meduim oranges
- 2 lemons or limes (optional)
- a large stick of fresh ginger
Now how to make this juice:
Im not going to lie, I buy TONS of fruit when I go shopping, so that Im not having to buy/juice it daily or every other day. So I buy 2 bags of grapefruit and oranges and a bag of lemons and limes. I love fresh lemon/lime in my Diet Coke, it makes such a difference!
What you’ll need? A juicer, jug, fine grater, knife, fruit and ginger.
1. Cut all your fruit in half and start juicing! It can be quite therapeutic if you let it.
2. Pour your juice in the jug as you fill up your juicer. My juicer lets through a little bit of pith but not too much, you can add more from the top of the juicer if you like, I throw it out, chunky juice is just not my thing.
3. Using a fine grater, grate your ginger (and fresh turmeric if you’re using it, or add in your dry turmeric) directly into the juice. (be sure not to grate your fingers)
4. Stir! Your juice is now complete and ready to go! You can drink it immediately or leave it overnight to to be ready in the morning to start your day right. It lasts up to 5 days but Im sure it wont last that long.
You will need to stir the juice every time you use it, as the ginger and pulp does settle at the bottom of the jug and cup. Its a delicious healthy glass of juice to start your day!
The ginger gives this drink a nice kick and takes away from the acidity of the grapefruit. I wont lie I was really apprehensive to use ginger, let alone fresh ginger, as I normally HATE the stuff, however, it really makes this juice. It did take me a few days to ‘get use to it’ but now I cant imagine making it without it.
Notes: Get a vegetable peeler and peel your citrus fruits before you juice them and you can dry the peel and use it for a variety of things, such as potpourri or hand made soap!
EDIT: I got brave and tried this with a teaspoon of turmeric powder and no, literally just NO! Ginger was a brave new direction but turmeric was a step too far. It made the juice more orange, ironic given that its already orange juice and it ruined the taste, even though it was just a teaspoon. I have no doubt that turmeric has all kinds of great health benefits but sadly it makes my taste buds want to cry, a lot.
Remember to share with friends and enjoy!