I adore coffee, there are few smells that make me as happy as the smell of coffee. I can understand why people have coffee addictions (myself included) and how the aroma truly makes or breaks ones morning. Luckily, I now live in a country that is equally passionate about coffee, good coffee. When I came across this recipe, I knew it was for me. Biscotti is a twice baked Italian cookie, normally Im very American when it comes to cookies, the softer the better. However, I am prepared to sacrifice my soft cookie preference for a good biscotti.
I’ve started sending home baked treats with my colleagues to give to their partners, sharing is caring and honestly I think its cute and very undutch. One of the partners was so impressed with this ‘cookie’, that he emailed me to thank me and sent me the link to the Dutch version of the Bake Off. Whilst I was flattered, I politely declined. Its always nice when individuals appreciate your baking and being entirely honest, I even impressed myself with this baked treat!
Chocolate Espresso Biscotti
Makes: 30ish 1 inch cookies Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 2 X 30 mins Total time: 80+ mins
- 2 cups (256g) plain flour
- ½ cup (50g) cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1.5 cup (230g) dark chocolate chopped
- 1/2 cup (113g) butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate coffee beans (or a chocolate covered coffee bean works) with 30ish reserved to decorate with
- 1/2 cup (100g) white chocolate
Now how to make these delightful espresso twice baked cookies:
7. On a cutting board using a serrated knife, cut slices of ½-1 inches (if the slices are overly crumbly, allow the loaf cool a little longer, they will be somewhat crumby). Lay the the slices back on the parchment/greaseproof paper and bake for 30 minutes until the surface of the cookies is dry ( though the chocolate and chocolate espresso beans will be melty).
Remember to share with friends and enjoy!